Saturday, September 21, 2013

Trey's Blog

Carbohydrates are used as structural materials, transportable forms of energy, or storage forms of energy. They consist of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Included in the carbohydrate are monosaccharaides, oligosaccharides, and polysaccharides. Polymer: Polysaccharides; Monomer: Sugar (not table sugar, but sugar as in 5 or 6 carbon sugar).

Lipids are hydrocarbons used as energy stores, structural materials, and signaling molecules. They consist of fats (1-3 fatty acids attached to a glycerol unit), phospholipids, sterols (lipids with no fatty acids, have a backbone of four fused-together carbon rings), and waxes (long chain fatty acids tightly packed and linked to long-chain alcohols or carbon rings). Monomer and polymer: there are lots of different lipids: Triglycerides, Cholesterols, etc. They are different in their structure.

Proteins function in nutrition, transportation, and signaling. They are made up of amino acids (consists of amino group, carbohydrate group, hydrogen atom, and R group). Polypeptide bonds form between amino acids to form polypeptide chains. Amino acid sequence is primary protein structure. The secondary structure is the bonding pattern of the amino acids (example: helix). The ordinal structure consists of the domain, where the sheets or helixes fold on each other and become stable. The multiple structure consists of several polypeptide chains that form advanced proteins such as human leukocyte antigens.  Polymer: Polypeptides; Monomer: Amino Acid

Nucleic acids consist of nucleotides (sugar, one phosphate group, N-containing base). The different nucleic acids include DNA and RNA, and they are used in storage and retrieval of heritable information. Monomer and polymer:   They all have an Amine Group and Carboxylic Acid group. But side chains are different. 20 of them.

11 comments:

  1. Great information Trevion! I really liked how you included all of the information about monomers, polymers, structure and function. Pictures would also help visualize what each of the macromolecules looks like on the molecular level. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great notes. All the pictures helped me to understand better and to know some real life example. In my mind, you covered it all: polymers, monomers, function, and structure. This will be a great study tool in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! This helped me better understand this, and I loved all the charts/pictures. I agree with the other comment- I'll be using this to study

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alfonso Merino
    Those are good notes! They helped me understand what the macromolecules do and what they are. It was pretty good when you put a brief description at the end about the macromolecules. These notes are really useful to study about macromolecules.Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great notes it really helped me understand better.The pictures really helped me out the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smart idea putting the pictures. Now I have a better visual of whats going on. Well done taking the notes, looks like you've got just about everything.
    REALLY HELPFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! The visual aids definitely helped me understand each of these topics. I like how you included pictures of the chemical structure of these different compounds because it really helped me understand what chemicals make up these macromolecules. This will definitely help me in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow really good notes. The pictures helped me understand more the information. This can make a really good study guide. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Great job on the notes! They will be really helpful for when I'm studying. I like all the pictures because it keeps me interested in the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! I like how you included a diagram of the Protein Types and the Polymers, Monomers, and Lipids. This a great study guide for me to use. I would like to know more about Carbohydrates. Over all really great!

    ReplyDelete